Database Administrator (DBA)
Our Data team is looking to add a smart, all-round Database Administrator to maintain and develop the databases that sit at the heart of 7digital. The successful candidate will support our team of developers, reporting/BI developers, and operations teams in finding and implementing solutions to keep 7digital at the cutting edge.
Your primary focus will be on the maintenance and development of B2B digital media services - including download, streaming and radio streaming models - within a fast-changing industry.
Problem-solving and helping to find durable, pragmatic ways forward - short-term and long-term - is key, so getting on well with people and displaying a positive attitude to tackling tasks is essential. You care about working hard, taking personal responsibility for your contributions, while also buying into a team ethos based around adherence to high standards, best practices, sharing knowledge and mutual support. Whether you’re approaching a new technology or performing a basic assignment you’ve encountered many times before, you apply yourself thoroughly and with integrity.
You will find working in a hectic industry invigorating (rather than infuriating!) and demonstrate a passion for technology, music, and delivering great customer experiences.
- 7digital is the global leader in B2B end-to-end digital music solutions, based in London and operating globally
- We provide digital services to over 40 partners including TikTok, i.am.+, Fender, Universal Music, Warner Music and Sony
- With the growth of streaming services, we’re logging millions of streams every day. That’s plenty of data to be looking after
- We have exceptional relationships within the music industry; we have a fully licensed catalogue of over 70 million tracks, giving us the broadest reach in the world
- We have a culture that finds time for both hard work and creative expression and we care about the people we work with
We’re looking for someone with a solid background in T-SQL and MS SQL Server - preferably SQL Server 2016 - who is comfortable working across multiple databases, servers and environments.
You will demonstrate the ability to interpret and enhance monitoring, identifying server and database performance issues. You will head-off potential issues before they become problems, and deal with unanticipated situations in a timely and apposite fashion, calling on a cool poise when under pressure.
You will be able to write T-SQL code that is clean, efficient and rigorously tested to function accurately and optimally. You will be proficient in interpreting existing SQL code and SSIS packages and diagnosing any problems. You will be capable of working with stakeholders to create business requirements that are concise and unambiguous, and deliver robust solutions to meet them.
- Database and server maintenance, including security, backups, upgrades, monitoring and High Availability
- Superior SQL development skills
- Performance tuning and query optimisation with a comprehensive understanding of indexes and query plans
- Understanding of best practices in database architecture, including appropriate deployment of data types, keys and constraints
- Managing transactional replication
- Troubleshooting and creating SSIS packages, notably to support ETL processes
There is scope to participate in the team’s engagement with progressive and complementary technologies - e.g. cloud computing and storage, other SQL languages (e.g. Postgres), the Apache Kafka platform - and delivering BI objectives. Exposure to these areas would be welcome, but your principal contributions will involve Microsoft SQL Server and T-SQL for the foreseeable future.
7digital is a global enterprise, and digital entertainment never sleeps, so you will be expected to provide support outside of UK business hours as necessary.
We are a very collaborative organisation that utilises Agile methodologies in our day-to-day working environment. Familiarity with this kind of environment and being happy to work in this manner is highly beneficial.
- MS SQL Server
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- 25 days holiday (increasing by one day each January, up to a maximum of 30 days).
- Bonus birthday day off
- Pension Scheme
- Healthshield cash back scheme
- Travel season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Up to 3 days paid each year to do volunteer/charity work.
This is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract, looking to move permanent after this time.
Got any questions? Want to know more about the role or team before applying? Get in touch ([email protected])
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.